A teenager has admitted killing an american lady and wounding 5 people during a string of random stabbings in London.
Zakaria Bulhan, 19, pleaded guilty at London’s Central Criminal Court to manslaughter because of diminished responsibility.
At Monday’s hearing, Bulhan also admitted 5 counts of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily damage.
“Without warning or provocation, the man stabbed six individuals in fast succession, saying nothing to any of them, moving on after every stabbing towards his next victim,” prosecutor Mark Heywood said.
Bulhan had been due to stand trial on one count of murder and five counts of attempted murder.
“We have considered professional evidence from each prosecution and defense psychiatrists who have ended that Bulhan was suffering from schizophrenic psychosis and experiencing a psychotic episode at the time. For that reason, we have in agreement to simply accept Bulhan’s guilty plea to homicide supported his diminished responsibility,” the Crown Prosecution Service said in a statement.
Darlene Horton, 64, of Tallahassee, Florida, was killed in the August 2016 attack.
Police said Bulhan is a Norwegian national of Somali origin. Kingdom of Norway’s National Criminal Investigation Service said he had emigrated from Norway in 2002.
The attack sparked a major police operation and initially there have been fears that it would be connected to terrorist act. That was found not to be the case, but Bulhan still poses an important threat to the general public, police said.
“He clearly poses a huge risk to the final public and that I hope he will currently get the assistance he needs,” police Detective Inspector Tony Lynes said in his statement.